ABOUT COLOR OF CHANGE:
Color Of Change is the nation’s largest online racial justice organization. As a national online force driven by 1.5 million members, we move decision-makers in corporations and government to create a more human and less hostile world for Black people in America. We activate our members to take action on crucial issues — from criminal justice to media representations to the social safety net and voter freedom — so that we can build the power necessary to transform the written and unwritten rules of society. Our work – both rapid response and long-term campaigns for change – amplifies the voices of Black folks and our allies, building power and delivering meaningful wins that create consequences for racial injustice and build momentum for implementing solutions that move Black people and all people forward.
The Digital Data Director will have a unique opportunity to join a large, deeply-skilled, and innovative campaigns team within a rapidly growing, digitally-driven organization at the forefront of Black liberation and empowerment.
This role will be centered on data management within the digital advocacy campaigning environment — with email program fundraising and growth being a primary focus. However, when capacity and needs warrant, this role will also assist with data management within the field/electoral environment, in collaboration with other data team members.
The right candidate will combine strong data skills with effective communication abilities to help build Color Of Change’s data-driven culture.
The Digital Data Director will be based in one of four Color Of Change offices (Washington DC, New York City, Oakland, or Los Angeles) and report to the National Data Director.
- Analyze data effectively to inform campaigning decisions in support of racial justice campaigners organizing in various issue areas (including but not limited to corporate and media accountability, criminal justice, and voting rights)
- Lead on training to increase adoption of all data tools (primarily ActionKit and ActBlue) used by our campaigners and organizers for our digital campaigns
- Manage the list hygiene and maintenance process, including approaches to retention and matches to external databases such as Facebook’s ads manager, etc.
- Standardize programmed reporting and dashboards using the built-in reporting functions available in our tool sets that track organizational goals — and communicate results to teammates, stakeholders, and leaders
- Identify opportunities to improve data tracking systems and processes and implement improvements
- Provide thoughtful and quick troubleshooting for problems and questions related to data across the organization
- Work with vendors to drive desired outcomes in an efficient and cost effective way
- Track, analyze, and optimize digital communication channels to maximize impact, fundraising, and growth (including CRM, social media, and texting tools)
- Conduct custom analysis of data using SQL and stats packages to inform strategy and tactical decision-making
- Work with teammates to design experiments to increase member growth and engagement, conversion rates, and fundraising results
- Develop and manage testing priorities that drive meaningful results in consultation with team leads
- Analyze, summarize, and present data in a manner accessible to non-technical decision makers
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE:
- 3-5 years of experience in a digital or data role, ideally in a large campaign, nonprofit organization, or media company
- Understanding of digital campaigning and at least one political CRM (e.g. ActionKit, Action Network, Blue Stage Digital, etc.) — especially in optimizing email program performance to meet growth, engagement, and fundraising goals
- Ability to use database and stats package tools required to effectively analyze data (SQL is mandatory, but we don’t care what your preferred stats approach is as long as it efficiently gets the job done)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including expertise in sharing data research and results with non-technical audiences in a clear and concise way
- Experience managing analytics and reporting for a mass mailer email program
- Ability to synthesize data into usable formats, with a commitment to ensuring the highest level of clean, accurate, and timely data
- Proficiency at using data and analytics to evaluate performance, track goals, and predict outcomes
- Proficiency in understanding statistical significance, confidence intervals, power calculations, random sampling, etc.
- Experience training others to effectively use tools and understand data
- A proven track record of efficiency and speed with data — you’re comfortable moving quickly, and have worked that way in the past
- A robust racial justice analysis and equity lens, especially with respect to the questions and assumptions that inform data management and decision-making
- Commitment to confidentiality. In this role, you’ll have a window into movement and organizational politics — and confidentiality is critical
Not required, but is a big plus:
- Ability to create compelling data visualizations using tools like Tableau, d3, or Shiny
- Experience with ActionKit, ActBlue, and/or Revere Messaging
- Proficiency with Google Analytics and website testing software such as Optimizely
- Know how to use regression and segmentation techniques to build models
- Experience working with remote team members
CLASSIFICATION, COMPENSATION, AND BENEFITS: This is a full-time, exempt position. The salary for this position is $105,000. Color Of Change offers a comprehensive benefits package, including generous vacation and holiday schedules and medical, dental, and disability insurance.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 20, 2019
HOW TO APPLY: Please apply by clicking the “Apply” button below and submit a resume and cover letter.
Color Of Change is an equal opportunity employer. Color Of Change prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or any other basis prohibited by law.