ABOUT COLOR OF CHANGE:
Color Of Change is the nation’s largest online racial justice organization. As a national online force driven by 1.5 million members, we move decision-makers in corporations and government to create a more human and less hostile world for Black people in America. We activate our members to take action on crucial issues — from criminal justice to media representations to the social safety net and voter freedom — so that we can build the power necessary to transform the written and unwritten rules of society. Our work – both rapid response and long-term campaigns for change – amplifies the voices of Black folks and our allies, building power and delivering meaningful wins that create consequences for racial injustice and build momentum for implementing solutions that move Black people and all people forward.
The Organizing Data Manager will have a unique opportunity to join a large, deeply-skilled, and innovative campaigns team within a rapidly growing, digitally-driven organization at the forefront of Black liberation and empowerment.
This role will primarily focus on data management to maximize the impact of Color Of Change’s organizing events, field work, and electoral engagement of members. However, when capacity and needs warrant, this role will also assist with data management within the digital/email advocacy campaigning environment, in collaboration with the Digital Data Director and National Data Director.
The right candidate will combine strong data skills with effective communication abilities to help build Color Of Change’s data-driven culture.
The Organizing Data Manager will be based in one of four Color Of Change offices (Washington DC, New York City, Oakland, or Los Angeles) and report to the National Data Director.
- Work closely with data and organizing team members to implement and administer reporting systems that inform decision-making for grassroots organizing programs
- Provide thoughtful and efficient support for the data needs of our organizing team
- Identify ways to empower regional field managers and organizers to best use data tools (VAN, Thrutext AKA Relay, ControlShift, ActionKit, etc) to inform decision-making
- Build lists for engaging and organizing members and high-potential voters typically excluded in campaign mobilization models
- Provide ongoing training and education to advance organizational data practices with an end goal of improving member experience
- Set the internal standards for managing and moving data across multiple systems, ensuring data integrity, quality assurance, and a high level of documentation and transparency
- Work with vendors to drive desired outcomes in an efficient and cost-effective way
- Create programmed reports for regular use by team leadership and individuals using the built-in reporting functions available in our tool sets
- Analyze data to identify trends, opportunities, and problems so that the team can operate at peak effectiveness
- Analyze, summarize, and present data in a manner accessible to non-technical decision makers
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE:
- Experience conducting data management in an electoral, campaign, or organizing context (including familiarity with voter engagement tools and data challenges in targeting, identification, persuasion, and Get Out The Vote efforts)
- Familiarity with NGP-VAN required, Catalist and Targetsmart helpful, but not required
- Familiarity with voter targeting, identification, persuasion, and Get Out The Vote efforts, as well as propensity, turnout, and persuasion modeling
- Proficient at using data and analytics to evaluate performance, track goals, and predict outcomes
- Ability to synthesize data into usable formats, with a commitment to ensuring the highest level of clean, accurate, and timely data
- Experience training others to effectively use tools and understand data
- A proven track record of efficiency and speed with data — you’re comfortable moving quickly, and have worked that way in the past
- A robust racial justice analysis and equity lens, especially with respect to the questions and assumptions that inform data management and decision-making
- Commitment to confidentiality. In this role, you’ll have a window into movement and organizational politics — and confidentiality is critical
- An understanding of digital organizing and campaigning — and of racial justice campaigning specifically — as practiced by Color Of Change
Not required, but is a plus:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Know how to use regression and segmentation techniques to build models
- Ability to create compelling data visualizations using tools like Tableau, d3, or Shiny
- Experience working with remote team members
CLASSIFICATION, COMPENSATION, AND BENEFITS: This is a full-time, exempt position. The salary for this position is $76,000. Color Of Change offers a comprehensive benefits package, including generous vacation and holiday schedules and medical, dental, and disability insurance.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 20, 2019
HOW TO APPLY: Please apply by clicking the “Apply” button below and submit a resume and cover letter.
Color Of Change is an equal opportunity employer. Color Of Change prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or any other basis prohibited by law.